Monday, January 2, 2012

Going Green and Saving Money!

So I have decided to take my coupon and saving "kick" one step further... I made homemade laundry detergent! I know it's a little odd but I kept reading about the cost saving benefits and how homemade detergent has less chemicals and decided to give it a try.

If you google "homemade laundry detergent" your going to get lots of recipes for both liquid and powder detergent. However, all the recipes call for three standard ingredients that can be found at Walmart.
1. Fels Naptha soap-$0.96
2. Arm&Hammer Washing Soda-$3.24
3. Borax-$3.38

The recipe I used called for 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup Borax, and 1 bar of fels naptha soap grated and mixed together. Really simple!! You use 1 to 2 tablespoons in each load of laundry. The liquid detergents called for the same ingredients but you added water and all the recipes made huge amounts--smallest I found was two gallons. For a family of two (plus two dogs, but they don't create lots of dirty clothes haha) two gallons of detergent would last forever! So I decided the powder detergent was best to start with.

As you can see my total cost for the ingredients was $7.58. This is about the price I spend on store bought laundry detergent with coupons. But the cost saving benefit for the homemade detergent will come in to play the next time I make the detergent because I will only have to buy the $0.96 soap!

Below are a few pics from the project. The pic that looks like grated cheese is the soap. I also did not buy a cute container I used an old water pitcher I had till I find something better.

So far I have washed 3 loads of laundry using the homemade detergent and I'm very happy. I can not tell a difference! I know this might not be for everyone but it was a fun project for me and I plan to continue using it. I also have plans to swap some of our standard cleaning products with homemade products! If you have and good recipes let me know!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment